Thanksgiving is just around the corner here in Beckley. That means families can enjoy a hearty feast of everyone’s feathered friend: the turkey. However, there may be some things you didn’t quite know about this big old bird. Here is a list of 5 surprising facts about turkeys.
- Benjamin Franklin never voted for the turkey to be the national bird. He merely stated that it was a more majestic bird than the Bald Eagle. America disagreed.
- Male turkeys have a stretch of flesh over their beak, which is called a snood. Females lack this snood over their beak.
- In order to attract a mate, male turkeys will spread their wings and puff out their chest, similarly to a peacock.
- Wild turkeys are able to reach speeds of up to 55 mph when they fly through the air.
- Turkeys can have up to 6,000 feathers. Imagine having to pluck all those out before you could eat one!
From our family at Mountaineer Lincoln to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!